Focus on Kids
Many children today experience parental divorce or have parents who never married and live apart. Divorcing and never-married parents face unique challenges in parenting their children while living apart. Conflict between parents, whether they live together or apart, is associated with many negative outcomes in children. The purposes of the Focus on Kids program is to help parents learn how to nurture and support their children through the divorce/separation process, and to help parents who are living apart develop ways to effectively work together as co-parents.
In some areas, the Focus on Kids program satisfies the Missouri law that requires parents who are divorcing and creating or modifying a custody order to complete an educational parenting program. It is conducted in cooperation with Missouri’s circuit courts. It is important to check with the court in the county in which your case is filed to see if Focus on Kids is an option for you. See the Focus on Kids events listing to find a class in your area.
Meet the experts
- Cathy Galland COUNTY ENGAGEMENT SPECIALIST IN 4-H YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
- Chantae Alfred FIELD SPECIALIST IN FAMILY FINANCE
- Dave Hileman FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Emily Barbee FIELD SPECIALIST IN NUTRITION AND HEALTH
- James Monk ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT AND FAMILY SCIENCE
- Jeremiah Terrell FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Jessica Trussell FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Katie Buchs Pemberton FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Kyleigh Sullivan FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Robert McNary COUNTY ENGAGEMENT SPECIALIST IN 4-H YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
- Sarah Traub FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
- Sherry Nelson, LCSW, MSW. FIELD SPECIALIST IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT