In-depth horticulture training for Missourians who wish to spread their knowledge of gardening.
East Central MO
Urban East MO
Urban West MO
West Central MO
Warren County Master Gardeners
You may become a Master Gardener if…
- You want to learn more about plants and gardening.
- You are eager to participate in practical and intensive training sessions. Classes are a minimum of 30 hours, usually ten three-hour classes. Cost is about $125 - $150.
- You can volunteer at least 30 hours the first year and 20 hours each year afterwards to educational horticulture programs through MU Extension.
- You enjoy sharing your knowledge with others.
What do Master Gardeners do?
The primary responsibility of a Master Gardener is to answer questions about home horticulture and to help find environmentally sound solutions to gardening and landscape problems. Extension specialists and Advanced Master Gardeners are available to help and advise as needed.
Other opportunities include:
- Conduct education seminars through the Master Gardener speaker’s bureau that gives educational presentations to groups such as garden clubs, community associations or school classes.
- Work in clinics in the community, helping local residents diagnose plant and insect problems.
- Write articles for newsletters, newspapers and other publications.
- Staff exhibits at home and garden shows and fairs.
- Organize community gardening projects.
- Develop youth gardening programs.
- Teach gardening classes.
- Conduct home horticulture research.
- Assist in senior gardening programs.
If you are interested, contact the Vernon County University of Missouri Extension Center at 417-448-2560. Classes are scheduled when there is enough interest to have the minimum number of participants.
Use Tab key to loop through the section below. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Oct. 6, 2020 - Nov. 12, 2020
Held Tuesdays and Thursdays from October 6 - November 12. Provides in depth horticulture training for Missourians who wish to spread their knowledge of gardening. Prepares volunteers for horticulture questions frequently asked by citizens around the ...
News & articles
- Published: Friday, Dec. 15, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Submitting soil samples to your local University of Missouri Extension center is easy, says Manjula Nathan, director of the MU Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory.Now is the best time of the year to submit samples to the accredited ...
- Published: Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The summer they were married, Dan and Earlene Britton received a cutting from a Christmas cactus belonging to Earlene’s grandmother Naomi Ingrum. Thirty-six years later, the Brittons and the cactus continue to do well in spite of ...
- Published: Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The term “winterize” is associated more with automobiles than garden plants, but just as motorists want their cars to withstand the rigors of winter, gardeners can take steps to help their fragile plants do the same.Most of our ...
Master Gardener Core Training Course and Manual Bundle
Aug. 8, 2020 - Dec. 31, 2020
Your $200 registration fee includes a FREE Core Manual. During checkout, a $37.95 discount will be applied: $30 for the manual and $7.95 for shipping. During checkout, please click the "Next" button under Shipping Methods. The shipping fee is part ...
Master Gardener Core Training-Fall 2020
Aug. 23, 2020 - Dec. 31, 2020
To receive a FREE Core Manual, a $30 value, register with the bundle. Register with the Bundle Course description: The motto of the Missouri Master Gardener Extension Program is “helping others learn to grow.” This is accomplished by providing ...