Stock healthy: Retailers
Rural and urban stores are part of the conomic and social fabric of a community. A part of everyday life, they not only provide provisions of life to their customers, but also fufill many other roles — as a community builder, employer, economic force and gathering place. Retailers are part of the supply and demand puzzle.
Benefits for retailers to participate in Stock Healthy, Shop Healthy:
- New products and more variety attract new customers.
- Healthy foods can yield high profit margins.
- Prominently displayed healthy foods can increase sales.
- Friendly relationships with customers and community can increase store loyalty.
- Build stronger relationships with current and new customers.
Food retailers of all sizes can play an important role in improving access to healthy foods. A successful healthy retail program addresses both the suppply of healthy foods in the store and the demand for such foods among community residents. The Stock Healthy, Shop Healthy: Retailer Toolkit provides ideas on how the retailer and community partners can work together to increase consumer damand an to increase the amount of healthy foods sold.
This toolkit can help you as a small food retailer to:
- Identify goals and strategies for increasing sales of healthy foods.
- Strategically price and display healthy foods.
- Promote and market healthy foods in your community.
- Attract and keep loyal customers.
- Build partnerships with community organizations that will support your efforts and promote your store.