What is the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute?
[email protected] is one of over 120 Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes found on the campuses of U.S. colleges and universities, from Maine to Hawaii and Alaska. Each provides a distinctive array of non-credit courses and activities specifically developed for adults aged 50 and older who are interested in learning for the joy of learning. The Bernard Osher Foundation provides support to [email protected] through its grants and endowments. The foundation’s goal is to be "the best provider of education for adults over 50 in the United States."
Why join [email protected]?
The goal of Osher is to create a learning community for participants who are age 50+, which provides many benefits:
- Intellectual health impacts physical health.
- Taking classes helps nurture your natural intellectual curiosity.
- Learning can be fun!
Join Osher and take part in thoughtful interactions about topics of interest to you. Osher creates opportunities for socializing, networking and meeting interesting people. So what are you waiting for?
Curiosity never retires. If you have an active mind, love learning and are over 50, come join us!
What are classes like at [email protected]?
Classes are relaxed and informal. We share knowledge, spark ideas, inspire new thinking and promote friendships. We create opportunities for thoughtful interaction and nurture intellectual inquiry.
[email protected] offers over a hundred different courses in any given year, covering a wide range of subjects. These include the arts, science, literature, psychology, history, finance, technology, environment, politics and religion. We also cover topical subjects such as poetry, travel and current events.
When can I register for classes?
[email protected] offers more than 100 classes each year over four semesters during its academic year.
Osher is currently in the middle of the 2019-2020 Academic Year. Important dates are below – please add them to your calendars.
Osher Fall 2019 Semester (Completed) – Runs for eight weeks.
- Mid-August 2019: Catalog becomes available
- Tuesday, August 20, 2019: Registration opens
- Monday, September 9, 2019: Classes begin
- Friday, November 1, 2019: Classes end
Osher Winter 2020 Semester – Runs for four weeks.
- Mid-December 2019: Catalog becomes available
- Tuesday, January 7, 2020: Registration opens
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020: Classes begin
- Monday, February 17, 2020: Classes end
Osher Spring 2020 Semester – Runs for nine weeks (no classes during Spring Break)
- Mid-February 2020: Catalog becomes available
- Tuesday, February 25, 2020: Registration opens
- Monday, March 9, 2020: Classes begin
- Monday, March 23 – Friday, March 27, 2020: Spring Break (No Classes)
- Friday, May 8, 2020: Classes end
Osher Summer 2020 Semester – Runs for four weeks.
- Mid-May 2020: Catalog becomes available
- Tuesday, May 19, 2020: Registration opens
- Monday, June 1, 2020: Classes begin
- Friday, June 26, 2020: Classes end
Who serves on [email protected]'s advisory council?
|Jack Wax, Chair||Jeanne Dzurick|
|Gloria Crull, Vice Chair||Kathy Green|
|Helen Washburn, Past Chair||Nancy Griggs|
|Sharon Kinden, Secretary||Robert Hibbs|
|Don Bay||Jason Ingram|
|Tom Bender||Michael Porter|
|John Blakemore||Barbara Schneider|
|Karen Chandler||Gary Stangler|
|Barbara Churchill||Nan Wolf|
|Robert Churchill||Clarence Wolfshohl|
Where is the [email protected] campus?
Most of our classes (unless otherwise noted in our course catalog) occur at the Waters-Moss Memorial Wildlife Area: 1905 Hillcrest Drive, Columbia, MO 65201