Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The VITA program provides free tax assistance to individual taxpayers and families.
University of Missouri students in the department of Personal Financial Planning program provide this service to individuals in the Columbia community. There are no appointments necessary. Services are on a first-come, first-served basis (during the dates & times below) until the site reaches maximum capacity.
VITA services are offered January-April. Check back here for more details during next tax season.
Be sure to bring:
- Photo Identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and each of your dependents
- Form W-2 for every job you or your spouse worked last year
- Routing and account number for direct deposit (if desired)
- Last year's tax return (optional)
Last year, did you…
- Receive unemployment compensation? Bring your Form 1099G.
- Pay for child care? Bring the total you paid for child care expenses and the name, address and Tax ID number of the child care provider.
- Pay student loan interest? Bring the total of the student loan interest you paid.
- Pay for tuition? Bring Form 1098 for you, your spouse and/or dependent children.
For more information on the tax assistance program, visit the MoTax: Missouri Taxpayer Education Initiative website
Free, private meetings to discuss options for personal financial questions, challenges or crises.
Are you frustrated because you can’t pay your bills? Are you at the end of your rope? Do you need a safe place to ask questions? The MU Office for Financial Success offers no-cost, private, judgement-free meetings to discuss options for personal financial questions, challenges or crises for everyone in the community. Our primary focus is on financial education, equipping clients with the knowledge and confidence to take action in their financial lives. It is staffed by MU Personal Financial Planning student volunteers and supervised by an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC©).
Services are offered on Mondays 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. or Fridays 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. by appointment only (please make appointment with at least one day prior notice). To make an appointment, call 573-882-2428 or email us.
Appointments last 1 hour and there is no limit to the quantity of meetings. This service is free to everyone and generally covers topics such as:
- Saving plans
- Credit building/repairing
- Higher education planning
- Debt management
- Goal setting
- Tax planning
- Student loans
Pro Bono Estate Planning
Do you have minor children? Do you want to appoint a guardian for them through a last will and testament? If so, please apply to be part of the Mizzou Law Pro Bono Estate Planning Program.
All services will be completed by University of Missouri law students under the direct supervision of a licensed practicing attorney and will be free of charge.
Sessions are offered in the Spring and Fall. Check back here soon for applications for upcoming sessions.