Karst, semi-precious gems, Ozarkite, state mineral, the Viburnum Trend, a rock collection, caves, volcanoes, Elephant Rocks, and lapiddary are just some of the topics that you might pursue in your geology project. Geology is the study of the earth. Much of our knowledge about the earth comes from the rocks, minerals and fossils that surround us. Explore the earth - in your backyard, a creek bed, a road cut, anywhere. Take field trips, collect specimens, develop your collection an exhibit a the fair. Learn the basics and pursue special interests!
Resources for all levels
- Distinguish the differences in Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic Rocks
- Collect specimens, develop a collection, make a display box and exhibit it at the fair
- Introduction to Geology (PDF)
- 4-H Geology: Introduction to the Study of the Earth
- Geology Leader Notebook (scroll down to Project Leader Resources - 7 PDF's)
4-H exhibits and competitions are part of the fun of the Missouri State Fair. You won’t want to miss this special event; visit the 4-H building to see the projects of our 4-H youth or catch the judging competitions. Whatever your niche, there is something for everyone. Bring the family! The Missouri State Fair is located at the intersection of Highways 50 and 65, and less than 20 miles south of I-70, Sedalia is roughly an hour from Kansas City, Columbia and Jefferson City.