Monday, August 12, 2019
Location: Missouri State Fair
Judging criteria: Contestant’s barbecue skills as demonstrated while preparing/cooking the chicken, and by judges’ sensory evaluation of the finished product
County entry limit: Four (4)
Age: Age 14-18 as of January 1st of current program year
Length of time: 2 hours with ½ hour limit on preparation time
Project enrollment: May be enrolled in any 4-H project
Sample required: Two (2) barbecued chicken halves should be presented to the judges on provided plates without garnishes
- Pre-registration and barbeque grill request, if desired, due to Jesse Lyons no later than July 1. Cooking area assignment and set-up 8:30-9:30 a.m., East side of the 4-H Building.
- Contestants may have one adult (leader or parent) as a coach supervising and assisting during set-up, although cooking and product handling is restricted to the contestant.
- Date of event information:
- Monitors provide participants with charcoal and lighter fluid, if desired.
- Contestants may bring their own lighter fluid and non-self-starting charcoal.
- Contestants may use their own grills if it does not exceed 350- 400 square inches. Baskets may not be used for turning.
- Monitors provide participants four (4) one and one fourth to one and one half pound chicken halves and a plate. The contestant may not inject fluid or sauce into the chicken.
- Contestants must furnish all other equipment and supplies, including sauce (commercial or private recipe).
- Contestants use charcoal barbecue grilling techniques and present two barbecued chicken halves to judges on plates, without garnishes, at or before the end of the 2.5 hour period. In addition, the youth should give the judges a standard recipe card with information about sauce (brand or major ingredients) and key cooking instructions.