In order for 4-H members to participate in the Shooting Sports project, they need an adult volunteer who is trained to be a Shooting Sports leader. Missouri 4-H offers trainings for people to become said leaders, with trainings that certify them to being general leaders to Hunting and Outdoor Skills leaders. Located under the volunteer heading to the left, you will find the different trainings and the information that goes along with them.
Western Heritage and Cowboy Action Shooting Volunteer Training
April 24-26, 2020
Tenative location: Camp Jo-Ota in Clarence, Mo.
This is not mounted cowboy shooting; no horses allowed! We do not anticipate it ever being a mounted shooting program.
Attendees must be present for entire workshop:
- 6:30 p.m. — Check-in
- 7:30 p.m. — Program begins
- 8:30 a.m. — Program begins
- 2:00 p.m. — Program concludes
Registration opens: Feb. 1
Registration ends: April 1
Registration will be via 4HOnline. If you do not have a 4HOnline profile, you will need to make one. Profile creation is found on the same page as login.
Minimum requirements for new programs:
New programs must send a team of volunteers to this workshop. Counties with current Western Heritage program may submit one or more volunteers to this workshop.
- Team of three to five volunteers attend the entire workshop and commit to the project.
- At least two volunteers must be 4-H certified in a firearm discipline: Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun. (Hunting Skills, Coordinator, Archery, Muzzleloading do not count.)
- Volunteers without firearm certification can assist in a variety ways and are encouraged to attend the training. Those with historical and living history interests are strongly encouraged.
- All must be currently approved as a Missouri 4-H volunteer.
- Must have ongoing active county Shooting Sports program. (To qualify as an active county, have three or more certified volunteers, have two or more disciplines, participate in state shoot participation, and have been an active program for three years or more.)
$70 — Fee covers the cost of curriculum, selected resources, noon meals and ammunition used.
Lodging and meals
Lodging is not included as part of the workshop. Each student is responsible for securing and paying for their own lodging. Three meals are provided; Friday evening and Saturday/Sunday breakfast meals will be on your own.
Hunting and Outdoor Skills Leader Certification Workshop
March 27-29, 2020 4-H Center for Youth Development Columbia, Mo.
** Please note that you must be a recognized 4-H volunteer in order to register for any of the 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification workshops.
The workshop begins 7:30 p.m. on Friday with a “hands-on” specimen preservation session.
Here is your chance to become certified to teach the 4-H Hunting and Outdoor Skills project of the Shooting Sports program. Participate in active learning as you become acquainted with this challenging, yet FUN project. Learn firsthand from the state instructors on how to lead a local/county Hunting Skills program. Experience various teaching activities that have proven effective for youth. Receive answers to your questions. And become part of a network of other Hunting Skills volunteer instructors.
The workshop will cover topics such as:
- Wildlife Identification — hides, skulls, scat, tracks, wings
- Firearm selection — matched to game hunted
- Map and compass skills
- Plaster casts of animal tracks
- Contest event information and tips
- Dutch-oven cooking
- Hunting Skills State Team insights
- Simulated hunting and shooting activities
- Carmelita Hunt
February 1 — March 15 or until full.
Registration is limited, so do not delay.
The registration will be through 4HOnline. If you do not have a 4HOnline profile, you will need to make one. The profile creation is found on the same page as the profile login.
$30 — includes three meals (two on Saturday and one on Sunday), curriculum notebook and supplemental resources. You must find your own lodging and breakfasts.
- Completed Missouri 4-H Volunteer application and screening process
- Complete mandatory Missouri 4-H Volunteer Orientation (or do so soon)
- Willing to work with local 4-H members
Shooting Sports Leader Certification
2020 Spring Workshop: April 3–5 at Pinecrest Camp in Fredericktown, Mo. Registration is open from February 1 and closes March 15 or when full.
2020 Fall Workshop: October 2–4 at Camp Jo-Ota in Clarence, Mo. Registration opens July 15 and closes August 31.
**Please note that you must be a recognized 4-H volunteer in order to register for any of the 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification workshops.
Cost of workshops
The cost of $100.00 includes five meals, overnight lodging (one or two nights), and workshop materials.
Registration is limited and will close when a discipline class reaches maximum number; or when the camp is full. All registrations accepted on a first-come, first-served basis when accompanied by fee. Workshops usually fill up before the deadline, so don’t delay! Register A.S.A.P.
Check-in: Friday from 6:00 – 7:15 pm for all participants
- 7:30 p.m.: General Session begins - required for all participants. Volunteer orientation is a separate requirement that cannot be completed at the workshop.
- The workshop will be composed of 18-20 hours of training. Twelve hours of that time will be for a specific discipline (project). Training will include covering the curriculum and lesson plans from the National 4-H Shooting Sports program, opportunities to teach to your peer group, and a range practicum. The philosophy and principles of working with 4-H youth is a critical part of the training.