4-H Marshall Mentor Program
The Marshall Mentor Program helps youth understand the importance of empathy, strength, courage, perseverance, kindness, and forgiveness and challenges them to put these traits into action. The program utilizes high school teen mentors to deliver Marshall the Miracle Dog's cornerstone messages. By supporting their younger peers, the mentors are developing as future leaders in their communities.
Mentors will develop and strengthen their leadership skills through mentor training and program implementation as they assist younger peers in developing an understanding of the five cornerstones of the Marshall Mentor Program.
Mentors are likely to experience other positive developmental outcomes as a result of delivering the Marshall Mentor Program to younger peers. They are likely to demonstrate growth in important career- related life skills such as:
|Leadership||Problem Solving||Goal Setting|
|Team Building||Public Speaking||Responsibility|
|Achievement||Sense of contributing||New relationships|
Curriculum and educational materials for the Marshall Mentor Program can be found at the 4-H mall.
Take a peek at how Marshall is teaming up with 4-H!
The 4-H Marshall Mentor Program is intended for but certainly not limited to these student participant age groups: upper elementary (4th-5th) and middle school (6th-8th). The MMP is also not limited to a high school age mentor delivering the program as in many cases an adult will need to be the facilitator.
The MMP has a wide range of audiences who will benefit:
- Use school enrichment classroom time delivered by 4-H leader, 4-H Youth Specialist, or 4-H Agent
- After School Youth Programs i.e. 4-H, Scouting programs, boys and girls clubs, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, YMCA
- Used to fulfill high school seniors' practicum/service learning project requirements or community service requirement for the A+ program for high school students
- Prisons/Juvenile Detention Centers i.e. through 4-H LIFE, Children with Incarcerated Parents Programs or Puppies for Parole
- Use in schools as bullying prevention program delivered by high school students in the district or teacher/counselor
- 4-H Military Youth and Family program
- Camp settings, i.e. 4-H camp, summer camps or camp counselor training
- Character Club school training
The Marshall Mentor Training is a comprehensive web-based (virtual) training to ensure the successful delivery of the Marshall Mentor Program (MMP) in communities across the nation. A one-time training fee will include all of the necessary components to bring this important social emotional curriculum to your area.
During the 2-3-hour training session, topics covered will include: Marshall’s Story/5 Cornerstones; Identifying and Engaging Mentors; Mentor Expectations and Program Planning; Experiential Learning; Ages and Stages; MMP Rubric and Pre/Post Surveys and more.
This one-time fee includes:
- Live 2-3 hour webinar training with a 4-H approved Trainer
- 1 Mentor Training Manual (55 Pages)
- 1 MMP CD. This CD includes a video of the real life Marshall to introduce participants to the inspiration behind the curriculum as well as short videos to be used each week to introduce the cornerstone for that week’s MMP session
- 1 Copy of Marshall the Miracle Dog, hard cover book
Live Webinar Training Options
- Online training (2-3 hours)
- 2 - 5 participants—$295/per participant*
- 6 - 20 participants—$230/per participant*
- 21 – 40 participants—$195/per participant*
- *An additional nominal fee will be charged for the shipment of the materials.
- Face-to-face training
- Unlimited participants
- Above prices plus additional fees for mileage and travel
- Marshall Site Visit/Presentation
- Presentation by Cyndi and appearance by Marshall
- $500/day (plus fees for travel if outside of St. Louis)
- Additional copies of Marshall the Miracle Dog Hardcover book can be ordered for $20 plus shipping.
- The Marshall Mentor Program Deck of Kindness is also available for $12 plus shipping.
- Extra curriculum and educational materials can be found at the Shop 4-H.
To set up training or get more informaiton please contact Amanda Meek.