10th Annual FilmFest 4-H
Aug. 1–2, 2020
Online via Canvas and Zoom
Registration & film submissions close July 17, 2020
FilmFest 4-H is a national film festival for youth that are filmmakers, visual artists, aspiring actors, and those that are just interested in meeting other creative people. FilmFest helps youth become producers, not just consumers, of digital media.
FilmFest 4-H takes place in a 4-H environment. Imagination, fun and curiosity are essential! Cameras, smart phones and mobile devices are strictly encouraged. Courtesy and creativity are always in style.
Attending from outside of Missouri?
Awesome! Here are a few tips to help registration go smoothly:
- Click the "Registration" button below
- Choose "I need to set up a profile"
- Select a 4-H County – "State Office" for out-of-state attendees
- Create your login information
- Enter your family information, hit continue
- Add new family members to your Member List – be sure to select "Contact" instead of adult or member
- Once you've added your members to your list, "Register A Member In An Event" and find FilmFest 4-H!
- If you're having trouble, click the "View Resources" button to find the "Out of State Enrollment" resource.
- Narrative — A film which tells a story. Can be based on fact or fiction.
- Documentary — A film which presents factual information about a person, event or process.
- Animation — A film created by techniques that simulate movement from individual images.
- Promotional — This category is for films or public service announcements that are meant to publicize 4-H programs or some other cause that you are passionate about.
- Voices of 4-H History — A historical perspective on 4-H. May be a narrative, documentary, animation, etc.
- One Minute Movies — Any movie that is approximately one minute in length!
Frequently asked questions
Why should I consider FilmFest 4-H?
Because this is the single best opportunity for youth to have this level of access and experience with the film industry without spending thousands of dollars.
For many youth, some part of filmmaking (editing, acting, prop making, scriptwriting, visual arts, etc.) is their "spark," that special something that motivates and drives them from deep within. 4-H Positive Youth Development is all about helping youth find and nurture those sparks, to help put them on a positive trajectory in ways that last a lifetime!
What do I need to attend FilmFest 4-H?
A completed registration and reliable internet access. A list of additional supplies that you will need for workshops will be sent out before the event.
Do I need a parent or chaperone with me?
Either one will do! As with every 4-H event, youth must have a responsible adult attached to them. However, because we'll be meeting together online, your parent or chaperone does not have to attend every session with you. They just need to be present – in another room is fine if you're at home. They should be able to answer your questions and supervise some activities. They are welcome to join you for all sessions if they would like, but are not required to purchase their own registration.
Do I have to be a filmmaker, or enrolled in a 4-H film project, to attend the film festival?
Absolutely not. Most participants are teens (and their adults) with an interest in things like film, acting, visual arts, stagecraft, digital media, special effects, makeup, etc.
Isn't there a registration form?
Registration is all electronic. Many of our attendees come as part of a 4-H group, and the group itself may have forms to fill out (such as registration, health, and photo release forms), in accordance with their state's 4-H policies.
What does the schedule look like?
The details of the daily schedule are still being finalized because we're moving to an online platform. Because you'll be joining us from all over the country, the workshops will be more condensed and you'll have the freedom to do meals on your own. The FilmFest Awards Show will most likely take place on Saturday evening as a screening to the public.
What do the workshops entail?
FilmFest 4-H workshops are where film industry professionals teach professional techniques and practices. They tell you about what they do, how they do it, and explore ways that some of these practices can be accomplished on a teenager's budget. You can also ask all the questions you like!
Will I get a chance to meet any of the film industry professionals?
Yes, and they actually enjoy that a great deal. Beyond the interactive workshops, there are opportunities tochat with them afterwards, and even get pictures and an autograph if you wish. Many of our presenters like to sit in on the other workshops, attend the screenings, and enjoy FilmFest experience themselves.
What's the policy on social media and mobile devices at FilmFest?
When is the deadline to submit a film?
The deadline is July 17, 2020. There are no additional fees to submit a film. No late submissions will be accepted. No exceptions.
Do I have to attend in person to submit a film?
No, but those who put in the time and effort to attend the virtual workshops for FilmFest 4-H do get rewarded. Youth who do not attend can still submit films for competition, have their films screened, and may place. However, only the youth who actually attend FilmFest 4-H will be eligible for prizes. If a 3rd place finisher is not present, for example, they still win 3rd place but the 4th place finisher who is present will be awarded their prize.