4-H Sportfishing Slam
The Sportfishing Slam contest was created to challenge all 4-H members to stretch their skills and knowledge surrounding fishing in the State of Missouri. The Sportfishing Slam contest encourages members to learn more about and determine the appropriate fish species, habitat, and bait that will allow for the completion of a slam category (example: 1 Bluegill, 1 Redear, 1 White Crappie, and 1 Black Crappie from the Pan Slam).
Sportfishing Slam categories
- Bass Slam — catch any four separate species or sub-species listed: Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Spotted Bass, Rock Bass, White Bass, Yellow Bass, Stripped Bass
- Catfish Slam — catch any two species or sub-species listed: Bullhead Catfish, Blue Catfish, Channel Catfish, Flathead Catfish
- Game Fish Slam — catch any four separate species or sub-species listed: Largemouth Bass, Trout, Northern Pike, Muskellunge, Walleye, Sauger, Pickerel, Shovelnose Sturgeon, Paddlefish
- Pan Slam — catch any four separate species or sub-species listed: Bluegill Sunfish, Redear Sunfish, Green Sunfish, Longear Sunfish, Black Crappie, White Crappie
- Lake Slam — catch any four separate species or sub-species from lakes
- River Slam — catch any four separate species or sub-species from rivers or streams
- Lure Slam — catch four separate species or sub-species using one type of artificial lure
- MDC Slam — visit and catch at four separate conservation areas
- Hatchery Slam — visit four separate Missouri fish hatcheries
- Members who successfully complete any of the Sportfishing Slam categories and send a completed verification sheet will receive a color certificate recognizing their accomplishment, and will be posted on this site.
- Members who complete four different categories of slams will be entered into an end of the slam period prize drawing.
- Members who catch the largest fish per species submitted will also be entered into the end of slam prize.
Rules and regulations
- The Sportfishing Slam is open to all Missouri 4-H members. Although we encourage participation in the official Missouri 4-H Sportfishing project, we understand that not everyone is able to join Sportfishing due to a variety of reasons. This contest is for anyone that wants to stretch their skills and knowledge of fishing.
- Participants must have a verifying adult with them at the time of the catch. Since this contest is outside of the Missouri 4-H Sportfishing project, the verifying adult also takes responsibility for safety. Sportfishing project members that want to participate in the Slam may use their certified leader as their verifying adult if applicable.
- Participants must follow all applicable state fishing regulations and practice good fishing ethics.
- Members must take photos of their catches on an official measuring instrument (i.e. ruler).
- All entries must contain a verifying signature by an accompanying adult/witness.
- Verification sheets with photos may be emailed or mailed to:
1110 S. College Ave.
Columbia, MO 652011
- All entries must be postmarked or emailed no later than Aug. 31, 2020.