Building a stronger workforce for Missouri’s food, ag and forestry employers
MU Extension and the Missouri Agricultural Foundation conducted a workforce needs assessment to understand potential challenges within Missouri's food, agriculture, and forestry industry.
The assessment evaluated worker demand in four industries — agricultural producers, agricultural inputs and services, food and related products manufacturing and forestry products manufacturing — and considered the challenges that employers faced in meeting that demand using employer survey responses from January-March 15, 2020 and detailed industrial and occupational data for 2019.
The workforce needs assessment final report will allow Missouri agricultural employers, industry leaders and policymakers to have a better understanding of:
- The composition of Missouri's food, agriculture and forestry workforce
- The scale of current and future demands for workers and skills
- Relevant education and training needs, and Missouri's capacity to meet those needs
- The critical workforce issues around which to focus future efforts
This information will help industry leaders, educators, and policymakers make the data-driven decisions and investments necessary to strengthen Missouri's food, agriculture, and forestry current and future workforce.
Currently, MU Extension's Dr. Mark White and his team are evaluating the results and working on a detailed report which will be released later this year.
For more information, contact: Mark C. White
Summary of findings
Dr. Mark White provides a summary of findings from the recently completed Missouri Food, Agriculture and Forestry Workforce Needs Assessment in the following 30 minute video. The report is being finalized and will be released later in the year.
Meet the experts
- Sarah Low ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, FRED V. HEINKEL PROFESSOR IN AGRICULTURE & DIRECTOR OF EXCEED
- Mallory Rahe PROF, AST EXTNS
- Jennifer Presberry SENIOR COORDINATOR FOR BUSINESS & COMMUNITIES EXTENSION
- Joe Horner EXTENSION SPECIALIST
- Mark White ASSOCIATE EXTENSION PROFESSOR
- Robert Russell DIRECTOR, LABOR AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Ryan Milhollin EXTENSION SPECIALIST
- Steven Devlin PROGRAM DIR. EXT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT , ENG. ASSOC DEAN INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS & ENTREPRENUERSHIP