Reawaken the phenomenal you
- Published: Tuesday, May 5, 2009
- Reviewed Date: Thursday, June 21, 2018
The poem “Phenomenal Woman” by Maya Angelou could serve as an anthem for the average woman and girl, for all of us who do not look like the models we see in magazines or the actresses we see on television. Angelou has written a love poem for every girl or woman who has struggled with body image.
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
The first stanza of the poem is printed here. Get a copy of the entire poem (check your local library or do an internet search) and post it in a prominent place in your home or workplace. This wonderful poem reminds us that each of us is beautiful and unique, and that if we love and believe in ourselves, others will too.
Reawaken the phenomenal you with tips such as these from authors Dayle Hayes and Mary Pipher:
- Remember that the “ideal” body shape has changed over time, and has been greatly influenced by advertising. This so-called ideal is likely to continue changing.
- Healthy beautiful people come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. One size does not fit all.
- When you look in a mirror, notice something positive about your appearance.
- Stop comparing yourself to others, especially in terms of physical appearance. Strive to be interesting, nurturing, witty, a good listener, a good friend.
- Keep track of your successes and accomplishments, and remind yourself of them often.
- Don’t criticize or comment on other women’s appearance. Compliment others for something other than their physical appearance.
- Wear beautiful, comfortable clothes that fit. Search out stores and catalogs that cater to people of your size, shape and fashion sense.
- Stand tall and proud. Straighten your stance and feel energy, strength and confidence flow from your head to your toes.
- Put your mind in touch with your body. Heighten your confidence and body awareness by practicing walking meditation, tai chi or yoga.
Use Tab key to loop through the section bellow. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: April 25, 2019
Event time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
St. Louis, MO
News & articles
Online courseHow to Get an "A" In Retirement - May 2019
April 30, 2019 - Aug. 1, 2019
Online courseHorticulture for the Homeowner - Spring 2019
Jan. 20, 2019 - June 1, 2019