MU offers ag producers help in applying for CFAP
- Published: Tuesday, May 26, 2020
COLUMBIA, Mo. – University of Missouri Extension economists have prepared an online overview of the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) to help producers.
Signup for direct relief due to COVID-19 began May 26 and ends Aug. 28, 2020, at local USDA Farm Service Agency offices, says MU Extension economist Scott Brown.
MU Extension agriculture business and policy specialists created the educational pieces to help producers understand the program before they visit their local FSA offices during unusual work environments due to COVID-19. See CFAP-Program.pdf for MU Extension’s guide.
The guide offers eligibility requirements, examples, videos and calculators.
Producers must make telephone appointments with FSA representatives or email them. They also may apply online.
If you are an existing customer, much of the required information likely will be on file at the FSA office. If not, prepare by having your personal information, tax identification number and direct deposit information. Be prepared to explain your farm operating structure and have information regarding your adjusted gross income compliance certification to ensure eligibility. Applicants will self-certify, but should keep records for spot checks and audits.
Brown says payment details are complicated and “everyone won’t be happy, but they will be happy to see payments headed their way.” Not all commodities are eligible.
Eligible farmers and livestock producers will receive 80% of their calculated payment now under the CFAP plan. The remaining 20%, not to exceed the payment limit, will come later this year, depending on remaining monies available under the total $16 billion CFAP monies.
Eligible commodities must have suffered a 5% or more price decline or serious supply chain disruptions due to COVID-19. Income restrictions apply for individuals and different legal entities.
Apply at www.farmers.gov/cfap.
Those who are not computer savvy or have questions may contact MU Extension ag business and policy faculty:
- Scott Brown, [email protected], 573-529-9200.
- Karisha Devlin, [email protected], 660-216-4008.
- Joe Horner, [email protected], 573-882-9339.
- Ryan Milhollin, [email protected], 573-882-0668.
- David Reinbott, [email protected], 573-837-2358.
- Mary Sobba, [email protected], 573-581-3231.
- Wesley Tucker, [email protected], 417-326-4916.
Writer: Linda Geist
Use Tab key to loop through the section bellow. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Aug. 3, 2020
Event time: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Event date: Aug. 4, 2020
Event time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Kansas City, MO
News & articles
CEUHAI-Infection Prevention on the Frontlines: Back to the Basics---in the Midst of a Global Pandemic
July 27, 2020 - Sept. 7, 2020
Online courseOzarks Region Neighborhood Leadership Academy
Aug. 24, 2020 - Nov. 3, 2020
Online courseHazardous Materials/WMD Incident Response Awareness-2021
July 1, 2020 - Aug. 15, 2020