Midwest Cover Crops Council annual meeting set for Feb. 20-21
- Published: Monday, Feb. 4, 2019
TROY, Mo. – The Midwest Cover Crops Council (MCCC) will hold its annual meeting in Springfield, Ill., Feb. 20-21.
The conference theme is “Cover Crops and Soil Health: The Practical Way Forward,” says MCCC board member Charles Ellis. Ellis is a field specialist in agricultural engineering for University of Missouri Extension.
The first day includes a working session to guide MCCC in developing outreach tools. Certified crop advisers will evaluate cover crop resources during a listening session. There also will be research and extension updates on cover crops.
Sessions on the second day include:
• Practical Implementation of Cover Crops – Lee Briese, 2017 International Crop Adviser of the Year.
• Building Your Soil Health System on Sound Principles – Barry Fisher, NRCS soil health specialist.
• Nutrient Reduction Regulations in Ohio – Sarah Noggle, Ohio State University Extension agriculture and natural resources educator.
• The Effect of N Management and Cover Crops on Tile Nitrate Loads in Central Illinois – Lowell Gentry, University of Illinois principal research specialist in agriculture.
• Soil Health: What’s Old, What’s New, and How Does It Relate to Cover Cropping? – Andrew Margenot, University of Illinois assistant professor of soil science.
• Effects of Cover Crops on Weed Control in Soybean – Brent Sunderlage, Southern Illinois University weed science researcher.
• Farmer and certified crop adviser panel discussion moderated by Joel Gruver, Western Illinois University associate professor of soil science and sustainable ag.
This is the first time Illinois will be the host state for the MCCC conference, which is being held collaboration with University of Illinois Extension. The meeting will be at the Northfield Inn, Suites & Conference Center, 3280 Northfield Drive, Springfield, Ill.
Continuing education units will be available both days of the conference for certified crop advisers. To register, go to mccc.msu.edu/about/meetings.
Writer: Linda Geist
Use Tab key to loop through the section bellow. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Feb. 21, 2019
Event time: 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Event date: March 6, 2019 - March 8, 2019
Event time: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm
Event date: March 22, 2019 - April 26, 2019
Event time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm