How to complete System for Award Management registration
- Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018
What is SAM?
- The System for Award Management (SAM) is the official U.S. government vendor registration system.
- SAM is free and valid for one year.
Before you begin …
- Do you have a DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) number? If not, register online for a free DUNS.
- Select “Country > Continue”
- Select “Continue to Government iUpdate”
- “Find DUNS” or “Request new DUNS > Start Now”
- Follow the prompts to complete the registration
- If you already have a DUNS, is your company information correct?
- Do you have a TIN/EIN number (Tax Identification Number/Employer Identification Number) for your business? Only sole proprietors can use a social security number for this registration. Apply for a TIN/EIN on the IRS' website.
- Look through the following pages to note other information you will need for your registration.
SAM registration tips
- Browser choice is important. If one browser doesn't work, try another.
- Move through the process page by page. Don't skip around sections.
- Complete all sections completely and accurately. SAM information feeds into other federal systems.
- If you do not complete your registration in one session, a partial registration will be saved and can be found in “Incomplete Registrations” under My SAM.
- Record your user name and password for future updates.
- If you were previously registered in CCR, the previous federal registration system, migrate your CCR record to SAM before you update your record.
- A help desk number is listed on SAM.gov if you need further assistance. Another free resource is the PTAC (Procurement Technical Assistance Center) organization. If you are not in Missouri, locate a PTAC near you.
1. Create user account
New users must first create a personal user account.
- Go to login.gov to create a new user account.
- Click on "Manage Account" at the top right and then on the next page click "Create Account" at the bottom right of the white box.
- Enter your email address and follow on-screen and email prompts to verify the email address.
- Create a password an authenticate your account using the options provided.
- NOTE: Those who already have a sam.gov account must also create a user account at login.gov. Use the same email address that your use for SAM when setting up the login.gov account.
- Create a user account at sam.gov and select “Individual Account.”
- Complete two pages of personal information.
- Once your information is submitted, you will receive an email. Follow the directions in that email to activate your user name/password.
2. Register entity (company)
- Log in with your new user name/password
- “Register/Update Entity”
- “Register New Entity"
You must also submit a notarized letter appointing an authorized entity administrator. Send the letter immediately after registering a new entity (business).
You can find templates in www.sam.gov
Step 1. Determine which template is required.
- I need to formally appoint an entity administrator for a single domestic entity. - Use Template 1 (Note: requires download.)
Step 2. Complete the template and print on your entity’s letterhead.
If you don’t have letterhead, enter your entity’s legal business name and physical address at the top of the letter before printing.
Step 3. Sign the completed letter in the presence of the notary.
- Make sure the person who signs the letter is someone with signatory authority, i.e., someone who can make commitments on behalf of the entity like the president, CEO or other authorized representative.
- Confirm your identity in accordance with your state’s notary procedures.
Step 4. Mail the completed, signed, notarized letter to:
FEDERAL SERVICE DESK
ATTN: SAM.GOV REGISTRATION PROCESSING
460 INDUSTRIAL BLVD
LONDON, KY 40741-7285
3. Determine purpose of registration
- Use drop-downs to select correct answers. Choose “Yes” to bidding on contracts.
- "Next"/“Confirm Purpose”
4. Core data - DUNS information
- Enter information exactly how Dunn & Bradstreet (D&B) has your company listed, including punctuation and spaces. Information entered in SAM must electronically match D&B. If not an exact match, you will receive an error message.
Verify DUNS information
- The address information you entered is compared to the information returned from D&B. This must be an exact match.
- “Save and Confirm.” If you change addresses after registering, update DUNS first, then enter the new address and select “Refresh D&B Data” in SAM.
- Enter your business' information.
- Create an Marketing Partner ID Number (MPIN) password and record it in a safe place.
- Enter your business information exactly how it is listed with the IRS. This information is matched electronically, so if an email is received from SAM that your business has failed IRS matching, you must go back into your registration and correct this page.
- Sign with your MPIN >“Save and Continue.”
- As a new user, you most likely do not have a Commercial and Government Entity Code (CAGE) code. Answer “No” to this question. A CAGE code will be assigned to you. This could take up to a week and your SAM profile will not be active until a CAGE is assigned.
- “Save and Continue”
Core data – Immediate owner
- "Immediate owner" is defined as an entity other than the offeror that has direct control of the offeror. Indicators of control include, but are not limited to one or more of the following:
- Ownership or interlocking management
- Identity of interests among family members
- Shared facilities and equipment
- Common use of employees.
- Fill out required fields, and select any socioeconomic categories that apply to the majority owner of your business.
- Fill out banking information. "ACH Phone" is your bank's phone number. Type as (xxx)xxx-xxxx
- “Save and Continue.”
- Answer question regarding compensation.
- “Save and Continue.”
- Answer questions.
- “Save and Continue.”
- If you want the public (including a prime contractor) to be able to view your SAM information, check "Yes." Confidential information such as your banking page will not be viewable. Please note, you will receive phone calls and emails from companies marketing their services for a fee. Paying fees for services is not required to sell to government or prime contractors.
5. Assertions – goods and services
- Enter your industry codes (NAICS) and mark one as primary. To find your 2017 NAICS, type in keywords in the search field.
Goods and services
- Entering Product and Service Code (PSC) codes is optional. Select the category on the left of this page to see the lists.
- Enter average three year sales and average number of employees for 12 months. This data combined with your selected NAICS determines your size status, i.e., small business.
- Enter your Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) data. This allows one company to send information to another company electronically.
- If your company is available to work on disaster relief projects, answer “Yes” and complete the remaining information.
6. Reps and certs (FAR responses)
- Represent and certify company information by answering 27 questions. The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) links are referenced for further information on each question.
- If you want to bid on Department of Defense (DOD) contracts, choose “Yes” and answer questions 29 through 35.
7. Points of contact
- This section includes both mandatory and optional POCs. Note the “Copy” button for faster data entry.
- You may also add "Optional Points of Contact."
8. SBA supplemental page
- “SBA Profile” is a database of small businesses. Registration is required for SBA 8(a) and HUBZone certification. This page is optional, but recommended for all small businesses. Company information will be publicly viewable on SBA's website.
- When registering, it’s important to include a short capabilities narrative and keywords for optimal search capability.
- Once your SAM registration is submitted, it may take several weeks before your registration is active. You will receive emails from SAM stating the progress of your registration.
- SAM registration is good for one year. If you update before the one year date, the year starts over. You will receive notice from SAM when your registration is expiring.
- To update or renew a registration:
- Log in with user name and password (password may need to be reset if expired)
- Go to “Register/Update Entity”
- Select “Complete Registrations”
- Click on “Company Name” in the left block, which moves it to the right block
- Move through each page, making any necessary changes, until the final submission.
This procurement technical assistance center is funded in part through a PTAP cooperative agreement with the Defense Logistics Agency.