Check chimney before burning wood for home heat
- Published: Friday, Dec. 8, 2017
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Missourians planning to heat their homes with wood this winter should check their chimneys now, said a University of Missouri Extension safety specialist.
“Safety precautions should be taken to prevent the threat of chimney fires,” said Karen Funkenbusch.
She suggests scheduling a periodic chimney cleaning to eliminate any creosote, the highly combustible byproduct given off when wood burns. When ignited, creosote can cause destructive chimney fires.
You can clean your own chimney using a wire chimney brush, but Funkenbusch warns that this is hard, dirty work. Professional chimney cleaning services are available across Missouri.
In addition to cleaning, there are several steps you can take to reduce the risk of chimney fires, she said.
• Use seasoned wood, which has a lower moisture content and therefore produces less smoke and burns more efficiently.
• Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or Christmas trees in an indoor fireplace. They could spark a chimney fire.
• Do not use water on an extremely hot chimney fire. Quick cooling can crack the tile lining or warp a metal chimney.
• After a chimney fire, replace prefabricated metal chimneys. The seams and joints on the lining may have buckled.
• Repair cracks or holes in older masonry flues. Sparks could get to the framework surrounding the chimney through these defects and ignite a house fire.
If you do have a chimney fire, get everyone out of the house, then call the fire department. If there is a fire in the stove box or fireplace box, extinguish it with a dry-chemical extinguisher.
For more information, see the free MU Extension guide “Cleaning Stovepipes and Chimneys” (G1735), available online at extension.missouri.edu/g1735.
Online courseHow to get an "A" in Retirement - April 2018
Apr. 9, 2018 - May. 31, 2018
Online courseHow to get an "A" in Retirement - February 2018
Feb. 8, 2018 - Mar. 30, 2018
Online courseHow to get an "A" in Retirement - January 2018
Jan. 8, 2018 - Feb. 28, 2018
Online courseHow to get an "A" in Retirement - July 2018
Jul. 9, 2018 - Aug. 31, 2018
Online courseHow to get an "A" in Retirement - June 2018
Jun. 8, 2018 - Jul. 31, 2018