June 5 bus tour to visit KC-area farms growing produce in high tunnels
- Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018
OLATHE, Kan. – Until recently, Midwest farmers who grow fresh fruits and vegetables were limited to a relatively short growing season. However, increasing use of high tunnels, also called hoop houses, means farmers can extend their growing season.
On June 5, K-State Research and Extension and University of Missouri Extension are offering a bus tour of high tunnels in the Kansas City area, including the K-State Olathe Horticulture Research and Extension Center and two private farms. The tour, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., starts at the center located at 35230 W. 135th St., Olathe, Kan.
Participants will learn about produce growing practices, how the host growers use high tunnels and how they incorporate food safety into their production systems. Critical information for growers about new food safety regulations will be provided.
More information and registration on the bus tour is available at bit.ly/2vGLs1v.
K-State and MU are also offering food safety training sessions for growers in May and June:
• May 7 – Introduction to Produce Safety, Independence, Mo.
• May 17 – Good Agricultural Practices (GAPS) Food Safety Plan Workshop, Olathe, Kan.
• May 23 – Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule Grower Training, Olathe, Kan.
• May 24 – Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule Grower Training, Grundy County, Mo.
• June 8 – Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule Grower Training, Jefferson City, Mo.
For more information, visit bit.ly/2qT1tM4.
Photo: http://extensiondata.missouri.edu/NewsAdmin/Photos/2011/high tunnel int.jpg
This 2011 file photo shows the interior of a high tunnel at Happy Hollow Farm in Jamestown, Mo. Photo credit: University of Missouri Extension.
Writer: Curt Wohleber
Use Tab key to loop through the section bellow. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
Event date: Feb. 21, 2019
Event time: 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Event date: March 22, 2019 - April 26, 2019
Event time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
News & articles
Published: Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019
Publication date: Jan. 1, 2019
Online courseSynthetic Auxin Herbicide Applicator Training 2019 SP (Non-Certificate Option)