4-H youths test skills at State 4-H Horse Judging Contest
- Published: Monday, March 2, 2020
LAKE SAINT LOUIS, Mo. – The Missouri 4-H State Horse Judging Contest drew 79 competitors Feb. 22 at the National Equestrian Center in Lake Saint Louis.
The University of Missouri Extension 4-H Center for Youth Development held the contest in partnership with the Missouri Quarter Horse Association and the Missouri Quarter Horse Youth Association, said Maria Calvert, 4-H state agriculture and natural resources educator.
“Through this program, 4-H members learn how to think critically and become skilled at defending their decisions through oral reasoning,” said Ty Peckman, 4-H state agriculture specialist. “Youths also develop key skills that will help in their future careers and success, such as organization, self-discipline, accepting criticism, self-confidence and leadership.”
The top 10 competitors in the junior category (ages 8-13):
- Jacie Bard, Newton County
- Abigail Eddy, Boone County
- Brooke Brumm, Buchanan County
- Addison Hinton, Boone County
- Clara Miller, Jasper County
- Brooklyn Hudson, Marion County
- Nikki Ferguson, Buchanan County
- Lydia Smittee, Callaway County
- Addie McAsey, Andrew County
- Faith Calvin, Jasper County
The top three junior teams represented Buchanan, Boone and Jasper counties, respectively.
The top 10 individuals in the senior division (ages 14-18):
- Samantha Schenck, Jasper County
- Riley Spurgeon, Crawford County
- Nicole Keating, Newton County
- Tannah Grigg-Cassatt, Jasper County
- Isabella Hall, Buchanan County
- Ada Tucker, Newton County
- Eden Rominger, Jasper County
- Garrett Egger, Jasper County
- Emily Egger, Jasper County
- Eleena Olle, Lincoln County
The top three senior teams represented Jasper, Buchanan and Newton counties, respectively.
The championship team from Jasper County will represent Missouri in a national contest.
Sponsors of the 2020 Missouri 4-H State Horse Judging Contest included FCS Financial, Missouri Farm Bureau and Cynthia O’Bryan.
For more information or to join 4-H, visit 4h.missouri.edu.
Use Tab key to loop through the section bellow. Press Enter or Space to enter content for each tab button. Press Esc key to exit and to go to the next section at any time.
News & articles
Online courseMid Missouri Region Neighborhood Leadership Academy
Aug. 24, 2020 - Nov. 3, 2020
Online courseThe Beginning Gardener-Getting Started with Vegetables-2020
May 15, 2020 - July 15, 2020