Community Gardening Toolkit - Page 6
- 10 Steps to Starting a Community Garden. American Community Gardening Association; https://communitygarden.org/resources/10-steps-to-starting-a-community-garden
- Accessible Raised Beds. Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin; https://danecountycommunitygardens.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/accessible-raised-beds.pdf
- Advocacy. American Community Gardening Association; https://communitygarden.org/programs/advocacy
- American Community Gardening Association website: http://communitygarden.org
- Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Path Toward Finding and Mobilizing a Community's Assets. 1993. John P. Kretzman and John L. McKnight. Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University.
- The Citizen's Handbook: Practical Assistance for Those Who Want to Make a Difference. 2014. Charles Dobson. Vancouver Citizen's Committee; http://citizenshandbook.org
- Community Development Through Gardening: State and Local Policies Transforming Urban Open Space. 2012. Schukoske, Jane E.Schukoske. Journal of Legislation and Public Policy (3:351); http://www.nyujlpp.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Jane-Schukoske-Community-Development-Through-Gardening.pdf.
- Community Food Project Evaluation Toolkit. 2006. U.S. Department of Agriculture Community Food Projects Program. Available on the American Community Gardening Association "Sample Evaluation Tools" page; https://communitygarden.org/resources/sample-evaluation-tools
- Community Garden Rules. Gardening Matters, Minneapolis, Minn.; http://www.gardeningmatters.org/sites/default/files/FairShareGardenerAgreement2015.pdf
- Community Garden Security. December 2005. Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin; https://danecountycommunitygardens.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/community-garden-security.doc
- Community Garden Start-Up Guide. Rachel Surls with Chris Braswell and Laura Harris. Updated March 2001 by Yvonne Savio. University of California Cooperative Extension; http://celosangeles.ucdavis.edu/files/97080.pdf
- Community Gardening in Rural Regions: Enhancing Food Security and Nutrition. December 1999. Ashley F. Sullivan. Center on Hunger and Poverty, School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University.
- Community Gardens in Milwaukee: Procedures for Their Long-Term Stability and Their Import to the City. May 13, 2003. Andrew Bremer, Ken Jenkins and Diana Kanter for Milwaukee Urban Gardens. Applied Planning Workshop, Urban Planning 811, Department of Urban Planning, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- From Neglected Parcels to Community Gardens: A Handbook. Brian Emerson with Ginger Ogilvie, Celia Bell, Don Anderson, Agnes Chiao and Rob Ferris. Wasatch Community Gardens; http://wasatchgardens.org/files/images/FromNeglectedParcelsToCommunityGardens.PDF
- Great Garden Leader Practices (internal document). n.d. Hannah Reinhart and Lauren Maul, Gateway Greening Inc., St. Louis; http://gatewaygreening.org
- Growing Communities Curriculum: How to Build Community Through Community Gardening. 2001. Jeanette Abi-Nader, Kendall Dunnigan and Kristen Markley. American Community Gardening Association.
- How to Start a Neighborhood Greening Project (internal document). 2009. Gateway Greening Inc., St. Louis; http://gatewaygreening.org
- Insurance for Community Gardens. American Community Gardening Association; https://communitygarden.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/insuranceforcommunitygardens.pdf
- Making Policy: Steps Beyond the Physical Garden. American Community Gardening Association, Community Greening Review, vol. 10 (2000); https://communitygarden.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/commgreenrev-00.pdf
- Multiple Benefits of Community Gardening. Gardening Matters. Minneapolis, Minn.; http://www.gardeningmatters.org/sites/default/files/Multiple%20Benefits_2012.pdf
- Raised-Bed Gardening. 2014. University of Missouri Extension publication G6985; http://extension.missouri.edu/G6985
- Twin Cities Community Garden Start-Up Guide. 2009. Gardening Matters, Minneapolis, Minn.; http://www.gardeningmatters.org/sites/default/files/startupguide.pdf
- Vision to Action: Take Charge Too. 2001. Green, G.P., T.O. Borich, R.D. Cole, D.L. Darling, C. Hancock, S.H. Huntington, M.S. Leuci, B. McMaster, D.B. Patton, F. Schmidt, A.H. Silvis, R. Steinberg, D. Teel, J. Wade, N. Walzer, and J. Stewart. North Central Regional Center for Rural Development, RRD 182; http://www.soc.iastate.edu/extension/ncrcrd/ncrcrd-rrd182-print.pdf
- What Good is Community Greening? 1995. David Malakoff. On the American Community Gardening Association website; https://communitygarden.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/whatgoodiscommunitygreening.pdf
- Whitmire Study: Gateway Greening Community Garden Areas, Reversing Urban Decline. Public Policy Research Center, University of Missouri-St. Louis. Gateway Greening, Inc., St. Louis; http://actrees.org/files/Research/gateway_greening_whitmire.pdf
Gardeners' Welcome Packet
(The Gardeners' Welcome Packet can be downloaded from http://extension.missouri.edu/mp906.)
- Community Garden Organizer's Handbook. n.d. Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin; contents are now found in the links under "Spring Registration and Welcome Packet" on The Gardens Network website at http://danecountycommunitygardens.org/resources/for-garden-leaders
- Community Garden Job Descriptions. n.d. Gardening Matters, Minneapolis, Minn.; http://www.gardeningmatters.org/sites/default/files/job-descriptions.pdf
- Gardener Guidelines (internal document). Community Garden Coalition. Columbia, Mo.; http://comogardens.org/gardening-guidelines
- Asset-Based Community Development Institute website: http://abcdinstitute.org
- Fundraising. National Council of Nonprofits. https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/fundraising
- Garden 'n Grow program, University of Missouri Extension: http://extension.missouri.edu/mp737
- Master Gardener program, University of Missouri Extension: http://mg.missouri.edu
- Plant a Row program, Garden Writers Association: http://gardenwriters.org/gwa.php?p=par/index.html
- Seed to Table program, Maplewood Richmond Heights (Mo.) School District: http://mrhschools.net/gardens
- Six Steps of Program Evaluation. Northwest Center for Public Health. http://www.nwcphp.org/evaluation/tools-resources/program-evaluation-tips
- University of Missouri Extension home page: http://extension.missouri.edu
- University of Missouri Extension local offices: http://extension.missouri.edu/locations
- University of Missouri Extension Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory: http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/soil
- U.S. Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), State and National Partners Map: http://www.nifa.usda.gov/state-and-national-partners-map
- City Bountiful: A Century of Community Gardening in America. Lawson, L. J. 2005. Berkley and Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.
- Community Garden Movement. Glover, T. D. 2003. In K. Christensen & D. Levinson (eds.) Encyclopedia of Community (pp. 264–266). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Soldier's of the Soil: A Historical Review of the United States School Garden Army. Hayden-Smith, Rose. Winter 2006. Monograph, University of California 4-H Center for Youth Development; http://4h.ucanr.edu/files/1227.pdf