- Format: blended
What you’ll learn from this program:
- Gain self-awareness and learn how to develop your personal brand to position yourself for success
- Learn how to set ambitious goals that push you to greater heights
- Develop a framework for identifying and gaining insight into the people you need to take with you
- Learn how thinking like a marketer can make you a more strategic, creative, and effective leader
- Gain insights into your own leadership and communication styles
- See how you can heart-wire your leadership, developing the soft skills that drive hard results
- Enhance your communication and collaboration skills by working in Leadership Development Teams
- Learn how to create a culture of recognition to unleash your leadership superpower
- Discover how taking people with you is the only way to accomplish big things
Meet Your Facilitators:
MARGARET DUFFY, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Novak Leadership Institute
Strategic Communication Faculty, Missouri School of Journalism
Margaret Duffy, (Ph.D, University of Iowa) is professor and Executive Director of the Novak Leadership Institute. She developed the concept for the NLI and its content in consultation with YUM! Brands’ CEO, David Novak. An author and consultant, Duffy conducts research and advises media organizations around the world. Her diverse consulting clients include Estee Lauder and the U. S. Army and she has obtained grants from the Pew and Knight Foundations. An award-winning scholar, Duffy’s research focuses on organizational communication, visual communication, narrative, digital media, news, and persuasion ethics. She is a former marketing executive and serves on the board of the Institute for Advertising Ethics.
Brandon Butcher, (BJ ’07, MA ’08) is Associate Director of the Novak Leadership Institute. Butcher directs student programs, strategic partnerships and marketing for the institute and co-developed the NLI courses and curriculum. He is also a faculty member in Strategic Communication and teaches courses including Strategic Writing & Design, Strategic Campaigns (AdZou), Strategic Communication Leadership, Entrepreneurial Leadership & Innovation, and Social Media Marketing. Butcher’s background in advertising includes roles spanning creative, strategy and brand management. At Dallas-based The Richards Group, Butcher served as digital brand manager for accounts including QuikTrip, Zales, SMU, and Children’s Health. He also worked as a copywriter & designer for Learfield Sports, creating print, digital and outdoor campaigns for corporate sponsors of leading NCAA Division I athletic programs. Butcher has extensive experience in nonprofit leadership, and has directed mentorship, leadership and service programs for students in both domestic and international settings.
Catey Heller Terry (B.A. Skidmore College, MA, Missouri School of Journalism) is the outreach director for the Novak Leadership Institute. She is a communications professional with more than 20 years of experience in New York City, St. Louis, and Columbia, MO. Terry served as a press secretary for a state senator in New York City before moving back to the Midwest. In Columbia, she worked at the Missouri School of Journalism, first for the Multicultural Management Program and later as director of development. She also served as senior director at Washington University in St. Louis in the development communications office and at Stephens College where she was in charge of grants and research. Most recently, Terry served as Executive Director for Advancement Creative Services and Donor Relations at Mizzou prior to joining the Novak Leadership team