E3A Understanding Energy: Needs Assessment
The following abstract describes a publication that is only available as a PDF via the “Download this publication” button.
Developed by Montana State University Extension and the University of Wyoming
Adapted with permission
This guide is one in the Exploring Energy Efficiency and Alternatives (E3A): Understanding Energy series. This one suggests some needs assessment techniques to help you identify local needs and adapt educational materials to meet them. On pages 2 and 3 is a map to exploring energy objectives that provides guidance on how to respond to certain energy objectives.
- Assessing attitudes about energy education
- Holding a community forum to discuss energy needs
- Finding existing information about local energy
- Conducting focus groups to gather opinions about energy issues
- Identifying key informants — local community leaders — who can accurately identify energy needs and concerns
- Using existing information to learn about the target audience