Secretary / Office Support Staff
The office secretary is an employee of the county’s University of Missouri Extension Council. The office secretary is responsible for a complex variety of secretarial work involving the performance of secretarial duties and some office management for the total county extension program. The Newton County Extension office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. Secretaries/Office support staff are employed and paid bi-weekly by the Newton County Extension Council. Annual salary adjustments are not automatic.
Support of county extension council
- Maintain extension council’s financial records.
- Prepare all council minutes and letters.
- Maintain council’s files.
- Mail checks to claimants the day after the Extension Council meets or after signature(s) are on checks. Retain and file copy of all bills in appropriate monthly folders.
- Prepare quarterly and yearly tax statements.
- Other duties as assigned by the Council or CES, County Engagement Specialist.
- Manage incoming telephone calls.
- Ensure regular distribution of both postal and electronic mail.
- Ensure mail is posted daily.
- Ensure that all typing is completed in a timely manner. The appearance of the final typed material must promote a good professional image.
- Assist with correspondence exams.
- Handle soil tests, forage lab tests, plant pathology, private pesticide applicators license and pressure canner gauge testing.
- Cordially and diplomatically assist all office visitors.
- Maintain a spirit of cooperation with staff; working as a team to accomplish the objectives of Extension.
- Maintain information flows and messages for specialists.
- Project a positive image and maintain appropriate office dress attire.
Support of the overall office operation
- Ensure that the office is opened and closed in accordance with the established schedule.
- Develop and maintain an effective and systematic filing system.
- Ensure that an adequate inventory of all necessary office supplies is maintained.
- Effectively manage and maintain an appropriate inventory of guide sheets, bulletins and other resource material.
- Manage and maintain an office inventory of all office furniture and equipment.
- Ensure that the overall appearance of the office area promotes a neat, clean and professional image.
- Ensure or maintain an up to date county web page following established web guidelines.
- Weekly cleaning of the office common areas including trash, floors, and bathrooms.
Support of county specialists
- Assist each staff member with the development and maintenance of program mailing lists.
- Assist each staff member with development of program materials as required.
- Prepare newsletters and other materials for mailing.
- Checking and preparing travel and send to Regional Director by due date.
- Education equivalent to high school diploma.
- Ability to learn to use a computer in a variety of applications, including QuickBooks word-processing, mailing, all Microsoft word, office, etc. and other desired skills; Power Point, Excel, and other presentational formats
- Ability to do accurate typing at 50 words per minute.
- Excellent proofreading skills.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to write a good business letter.
- The county office secretary supports the program efforts of all extension professional and para-professional staff.
- The regular supervision of the office secretary is provided by the County Program Director in cooperation with the Extension Council.
This position is subject to a 90-day probationary period. At any point during this period, either party can determine that the position is not a fit.
Secretaries/Office support staff are employed and paid bi-weekly by the Newton County Extension Council. Adjustments are determined by the level of appropriations obtained by The Council. Salary adjustments will be made on Jan. 1 or upon approval of County commission funding, of each year if need be. After their probationary period has been satisfactorily completed; staff is eligible for a salary adjustment if budget allows.
To apply for this position, submit a completed employment application to the MU Extension Center in Newton County.