Agriculture and livestock
Helpful resources for agriculture and livestock in Douglas County.
Agriculture business management
- Agricultural Software Directory — This directory lists all known agricultural software packages that are distributed in North America.
- Farm Lease Forms — Ag Lease 101 for both land owners and operators from the North Central Extension Farm Management Committee
- Missouri Agricultural Statistics Service
- Value-Added Agriculture Marketing Resource Center — This national information resource for value-added agriculture is hosted by Iowa State University and has general and commodity-specific information on value-added businesses, marketing opportunities, and access to consultants. Call toll-free 1-866-277-5567.
Fencing and watering systems
These resources for Missouri Fence and Boundary laws and other information are for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice.
- Missouri's Complex Fence Law
- Watering Systems for Serious Graziers
- High Tensile Wire Fencing - NRAES
- Fencing Materials For Livestock Systems - VA Cooperative Extension
- Electric Fencing for Serious Graziers
- Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 272 Fences & Enclosures
State hay markets, listed alphabetically:
- Arkansas Hay Producers Database
- Illinois Hay and Straw Directory
- Iowa Hay and Straw Directory — Or call 515-281-5321
- Kansas Hay Facebook page
- Kentucky Hay Hotline
- Michigan Hay Sellers Listings
- Missouri Hay Directory
- Nebraska Hay and Forage Hotline
- North Carolina Hay Alert
- Southeastern North Carolina Hay Directory (PDF) — From NC State University Cooperative Extension
- Texas Hay Hotline — Or call 877-429-1998
- Hay For Sale Ads — A commercial site to post free ads to sell hay, find hay bales for sale near you, register for hay alerts, and search by state. Includes a hay spoilage calculator.
- Internet Hay Exchange — A commercial site with free listings of hay buyers and sellers by state and county throughout the U.S.
Imported fire ants
Note: Producers bringing hay in from southern states should be certain the hay is USDA-certified free of fire ants.
- CAFNR News: Beware: Fire Ants
- Out-of-state hay may harbor red imported fire ants
- Imported Fire Ant Quarantine Area Map
- Red Imported Fire Ants — An MU Extension Youtube video
- Imported Fire Ants
- Breeds of Livestock — A collection from Oklahoma State University of breed information on cattle, horses, goats, sheep, swine, etc.,
- Goat Resources from Land-Grant Universities — eXtension
- Red Book (PDF) — A pocket handbook from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association to keep better records on your cow herd
- Missouri Brand Book — Search for livestock brands used in Missouri
- Missouri Grazing Wedge — A key tool for managing feed on a pasture based dairy farm, it visually represents the quality and quantity of forage dry matter available both now and during the next round of grazing
- Sheep Resources from Land-Grant Universities — eXtension
- Nutrient Management
- Livestock's Contributions to Climate Change
Pesticide safety and record keeping
- Chemical Labels and MSDSs — Site by CDMS has searchable list of chemical manufacturers and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs)
- Noxious Weed Control — Missouri Department of Agriculture site links to noxious weed law and weed identification tools
- MDA's Pesticide Program or call Jefferson City, Mo. at 573-751-5504
- Record-Keeping Requirements
- Record Keeping Q&A - USDA
- Record Keeping Manual - USDA
- Record Keeping Form
- Record Keeping Page - USDA
- Record Keeping Form for Greenhouse & Nurseries - USDA
- Record Keeping App - Iowa State Extension
Listed below are sources of information both old and new for making wick applicators for wipe-on weed control. The typical rope wick will contain a solution of 1 part 41% glyphosate and 2 parts water in a PVC pipe reservoir. The solution is then wicked out through a nylon rope or carpet that can be wiped onto weeds.
MU Extension publication G4920, Rope Wick Applicators
Rope Wick Herbicide Applicator (PDF) (see Figure 1 on page 7) — University of Kentucky
Wick broom plan 6208A — Mississippi State University
Wick broom plan 6208B — Mississippi State University
Wick broom plan 6208C — Mississippi State University