A Matter of Balance FAQ
Who should attend?
The program is designed to benefit older adults who:
- Are concerned about falls.
- Have sustained falls in the past.
- Restrict activities because of concerns about falling.
- Are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength.
- Are age 60 or older, community dwelling and able to problem solve.
Are falls common?
- Yes, every second of every day an older adult falls.
- One-half to two-thirds of falls occur around the home.
- Falls usually aren’t caused by just one issue. It’s a combination of factors.
- A large portion of falls are preventable.
What happens in class?
- Group discussion. Everything said in class is kept confidential.
- Problem-solving/practical solutions shared.
- Skill building.
- Assertiveness training.
- Light exercises and stretches are all performed with your own body weight. No external weights or bands are used in this class.
- Visit from a guest health care professional.
What do participants say about the program?
- They have increased confidence in taking a walk, climbing stairs and carrying loads without falling.
- More confident that they can increase strength, find ways to reduce falls and protect themselves if they do fall.
- Increase the amount they exercise regularly.
- Have fewer falls after taking the course.