Meat Goat Management Wheel
The following abstract describes a publication that is available for purchase or as a downloadable PDF. Please see links to the PDF file and ordering information on this page.
State small ruminant extension specialist
Lincoln University in Missouri
Linda Coffey and Margo Hale
National Center for Appropriate Technology
Jim Humphrey and Bruce Lane
Regional livestock specialists
Missouri State University
This versatile, easy-to-use Meat Goat Management Wheel makes decisions about meat goat management and production simple.
The wheel is a management calendar that helps you schedule tasks. Use it in the way that best suits your management style. For example:
- Rotate the wheel to your ideal kidding date to learn the recommended dates for all the doe, buck and kid management tasks for the entire year.
- Rotate the wheel to the date breeding began to find out when the kids should start arriving.
- Rotate the wheel to the date the kids arrived to determine when to give vaccinations, increase nutrition and perform other necessary tasks.
The wheel contains lots of general management information that can be adjusted for individual operations and different management styles. If you have questions about any of these management or production recommendations, consult an expert or professional in your area.
In combination with a wall calendar, this tool will help producers stay on schedule despite the busy lifestyle and competing demands they are faced with.
The 7.875-by-7.875-inch wheel is made of high-quality, washable plastic that will last a long time.
- Maryland Small Ruminant Page, www.sheepandgoat.com
- Oklahoma Basic Meat Goat Manual, agecon.okstate.edu/meatgoat/manual.asp
- Tennessee Grazing/Browsing Planner (PDF), www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs141p2_016208.pdf
- Meat Goat Progduct Handbook Order Form, www.luresext.edu/sites/default/files/handbookorderform-1.pdf
- eXtension Goat Industry Community of Practice, www.extension.org/goat
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service, www.attra.ncat.org/
- Meat goat
- Buck effect
- Quality assurance
- Creep feeding
- Business management
- Production management